Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Using People

To a certain extent, I suppose I use everyone around me. But usually it's not with purpose and I feel like I give back a lot, as well. But sometimes an opportunity to use someone in the real sense of the word comes along.

There's always the classic get a drink for free. A boy wants to buy you one, and you think he's the most hidious thing you've ever seen. So you tell him that your friend needs a shot, too. You stand near him at the bar to make sure he doesn't roofie your drink, down the shot and then disappear in the crowd, hoping he forgets about you.

Then there are those long-term deals, where you're faced with the choice of dating a man just because of what he can give you. Maybe it's money, maybe it's a place to crash. This time it's free car work.

I like to play the tough guy and the idea of being a user really appeals to that part of me. But sometimes you've got to look inside yourself and decide if that's the part you want to play. I like to pretend to be bad, but actually dating someone just to get a free head gasket seems a little beyond me.

No comments: