Monday, January 3, 2011

Okay, and story one: Arrival In Korea

I arrived in Korea on August 17. I left Greenville, SC on August 16. I cried as I hugged my parents and brother. I didn't think I would have cried, but I did. I turned and went into my terminal.

Then a short flight to Atlanta and I quickly grabbed two glasses of red wine before my flight to Seoul left. It was going to a long ride.

Seventeen hours later, I arrived in Seoul. Feeling sick because the big P started on the plane and I wasn't very well to begin with. But I lived and got through customs. I did have trouble finding the EPIK people who where going to take me to orientation, but eventually I found them and a Coke Zero.

I slept on the bus ride to the University we were staying at. My room was strangely arranged. Two twin beds, headboard to headboard. I would have not liked that as my dorm at all. My roommate was very nice, though.

It was almost two weeks of making friends and getting a crash course in Korean life. The best thing was getting soju the next day in the afternoon as soon as we were released. Every night was a party at the local convenience store (and I mean party. I'm sure the locals hated us.).

At the end of our time together, I found out that I was nowhere near any of my new friends and sadly waved goodbye to them, sure I would never see them again. This was not the case.

My coteacher picked me up on a rainy day. She took me to my new apartment and helped me buy stuff and bought me a delicious dinner. It was a good start.

No comments: