Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Moving to NYC

I think I need to change the direction of this blog. Sure, I could brag about my conquests and all the awesome people I know, but really, who hasn't read about that already?

Instead, I'm going to focus on what's happening now. Which I just discovered is pretty interesting. A week ago, I packed up two duffel bags, a suit case, a carry-on bag, a book bag and my dad's garment bag and hopped a train to NYC. I arrived to the open arms of a charming man and his charming west side studio apartment in Manhattan. Then a week went by and he told me get the hell out (he said it nicer than that).

So I looked for a place to stay. I found a charming room to rent in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. You would have loved it. Two days before I was supposed to be out of the charming man's apartment, the subletter called to let me know she was ripping up my check and renting the room to her roommate's friend instead.

What ensued next was a mad dash across Craigslist and across Brooklyn via the L train. I found one place, but it was only available for a month. No way was I moving again at the end of February. I found a great place I could have rented from three months to whenever, but then I got a call a few hours later saying they were renting to someone hipper than me. I finally found a place available for three months and dirt cheap.

In the heat of the moment, the place was perfect. It was furnished (mattress on the floor, though relatively new, an "armoire", a "chair" and a bedside table the perfect height for a mattress on the floor), it was cheap, my roommates were a gay dude and a sweet guy, and the room seemed pretty secure.

In the sober light of day I realized that kids play drums in the apartment late at night, that there is a real possibility of getting jumped coming home at night and the sweet guy is actually a lesbian (though still sweet).

I think I will take this experience as a lesson: I am not as hip as I pretend to be. I am a middle class attorney, not an artist, and, though not afraid to die, I am afraid of pain and getting my money stolen.

Please stay tuned for whatever next comes my way.

No comments: